After showing you how to boot a custom OS with the QuickLook button I want to show you another wonder of the HP_TOOLS partition.
To change the logo you need to create a new one. Here are the steps to create it and install it.
- The “loading” screen resolution may or may not be the optimal screen resolution. To detect it, run a GRUB/BURG based bootloader, then press “c” to show the command line and type “vbeinfo” or “videoinfo”. Remember the resolution that’s closest to your screen maximum resolution.
- Also get your screen’s maximum resolution from your operating system’s display settings.
- Using GIMP, create a new image with your display’s maximum resolution. Use or black as background color, make sure you use only black and white (otherwise it will look really bad. Trying doesn’t hurt, though, so go ahead if you want to make it colored).
- In GIMP, save a copy of the image for further editing. Then go to Image, Scale, then click the little chain next to the picture size to break it. Set it to the firmware resolution gotten in step 1. Then go to File and export the picture as JPG; name it “HPlogo.jpg”.
- Use Microsoft Paint to convert the image to BMP (if you’re using Linux you can get it from PlayOnLinux). Open it, then go to Save as… and save it as a monochromatic bitmap, or 256 colors, if you want to try.
- If you don’t have an HP_TOOLS partition, create it using GParted or another partitioning tool. Format it with FAT32 and name it HP_TOOLS. Then create the “Hewlett-Packard” directory and a “Logo” directory inside of it. Save the picture there as “HPlogo.bmp”. Some firmwares support JPGs too, so try to save in this directory the “HPlogo.jpg” file you created with GIMP first, if it doesn’t work use the bitmap version created with Paint.
- Reboot and enjoy! If your logo doesn’t show, go to your firmware settings and enable the custom logo feature.
There is a white paper from HP about this. You can get it from here if you want to read it.
Thanks for reading! 🙂 If you had troubles following this guide, have some suggestions or just want to tell me what do you think of it, please comment below! 😉